There can be ONLY ONE.
I don't know how other people cope with life events like Jeff's accident. I barely even know how I am coping with it, and it's my brain inside my skull here. I don't have a ton of insight to give you.
I vote we make something good out of this mess: something positive out of something painful, something warm and comforting out of something horrific.
So I'm giving away one new, custom-designed quilt to a lucky winner. All you have to do is answer one question:
How much did UAB bill to our insurance company for Jeff's stay?
Mind you, this number is not what we are paying out of pocket -- we're paying a co-pay for the hospital stay, plus some incidentals for various procedures. I knew the number would be staggering, but opening up the envelope and seeing the price of what it took to save Jeff's life ... let's just say there's a person out in the world last night who took a reeling, stunned, tearful phone call last night from me.
I can't, and won't, let that number define Jeff's recovery. So let's find a way to make that number about something else.
Here are the rules:
- Anyone can enter. You don't have to be in the USA.
- One entry per person.
- Your entries should be in American dollars and cents.
- You have exactly seven days from the timestamp of this post to make your guess. The entry was posted at 2011-03-31 15:27:43, Central time, so that means you've got until Thursday, April 7 at 3:27:43pm Central time to get your guess in.
- Keep your guess private. Don't post your guess in any comments you make here or elsewhere.
- Quilt will be twin-sized -- or smaller.
- Quilt will be made to your specifications, but I swear on all things holy that if you choose a Baltimore Album quilt, your heirs will get it instead of you.
- You have first naming rights on your quilt.
- You choose the pattern and the color scheme.
- You may have some of Jeff's hospital gowns in your quilt, if you like.
- If you have personal fabrics you'd like included in your quilt, I'll be happy to do so. (Assuming they are compatible -- I'll talk about it with the winner.)
- There are a very small handful of people who know the answer to the question. You know who you are. You are all close friends. I ask you kindly to abstain.
- There is no entry fee.
- The winner will be the person whose answer gets the closest to the actual billed cost. In the event of a tie, I'll either do a random drawing or make you fight a deathmatch or make you both quilts or something.
- I will announce the winner on domesticat.net, on twitter, and on facebook. Don't enter if you're not okay with being announced publicly as the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law or by large cats. Know the law and the claws.
- The bill wasn't a round dollar figure. So be sure to add in cents to your guess.
- To help you formulate your guess: Jeff spent 48 days in the ICU at UAB, along with another 13 days in the trauma/burn nursing unit, before being discharged to a rehab hospital.
Happy guessing, and let's all be grateful for insurance. :)