Someone else's code-fu
Good things: calls to Andrew and Joy, watching movies with Jeff, cuddle time with the cats, and oh yeah, code-fu.
Notice I didn't say that it was my code-fu. In today's case, it isn't. More correctly, it would be a large bit of whimpering on my part and twenty minutes' worth of code-fu on Gareth's part. Never mind thef act that I spent multiple hours tracking down a code problem that turned out to be a correctly named variable in the wrong scope.
It's the kind of thing that'll drive you to drink. Questing for missing parentheses I can deal with, but this was sheer and utter madness—and all this for multiple log files! Oi, the things I do…
So what got accomplished today? Not much, in truth. The big part was getting the pesky variable problem solved (and, as I check the scoreboard, I see that the current score is Gareth 347, domesticats zero). I did, however, finish up my first full page of the admin section today.
Do try to hold back your excitement when I tell you that it's the "view usage log" page. Next to the "back up my database!" page, it's quite possibly the least exciting page in the entire admin section. Admittedly, the part where you can sort (and display) only errors that match your particular type is rather swank, and given time and a decent bit of sleep, I think I'll be proud of it.
The best part is that, well, now I have a bit of automated logging set up. I told Gareth the neatest part about having this page done is that I no longer have to monitor things by hand. Every page I write up means another few functions that don't have to be performed by a command line.
I'm thinking that tomorrow, I'll start on the "edit yourself" page. It shouldn't be horrifically difficult; it's pretty straightforward yank-it-from-the-database and save-if-necessary stuff. I should also be able to re-incorporate most of it into the superuser author-editing page. Do those, and I'll be able to add, edit, and delete authors from the web interface instead of [laboriously] creating them by hand.
My enormous user-verification function, verify_user(), desperately needs cleaning up. Gareth was kind and didn't call it spaghetti, but I believe my retort was along the lines of "You'd say something nice about it if it were slathered in tomato sauce and had meatballs on top!"
Yeah. It's rather yucky to look at.
All in all, things are getting accomplished. I know that my user auth routines need cleaning up, but they work properly, and the determined-by-permissions navbar works properly as well. I can also pretty much check off the usage log page.
One down…and about eighteen to go.