Crossroads was intended to be a quick quilt, with an overall color directive from the recipient: dark and midtone blue, brown, and green. Easy enough; I went to my stash and quickly realized I was pulling out a lot of Australian aboriginal fabrics, and made a deliberate attempt to include fabrics from as many parts of the world as possible:
- Japanese calligraphy
- Handwoven khaki-colored fabric from Misty’s mission trip to Nepal
- Aboriginal fabrics from Australia
- The spectacular big fish fabric, which Diana (a mutual coworker) brought back from Rwanda
- Liberty fabric I bought in London
- African sun fabrics bought in the UK
- Hand-dyed fabric bought in Vancouver
- Tiny slivers of the beautiful Italian fabric I bought at Britex in San Francisco, and whose origins are known only to Britex employees (they wouldn’t tell me when I asked who made it)
Five continents (I have no South American fabric). I was pleased.
The backing is one I’ve had stockpiled for a while. I have the same fabric in another colorway, just a little brighter; I think I’ll save it for another quilt with a brighter, lighter front.
There’s surprisingly little to tell about this quilt; it went together quickly and easily, because I had a lot of fabric in these colors:
I sewed it together diagonally into big strips, with lots of pinning to ensure the seams butted together nicely:
and then joined it together into one big top. The binding is another one of my striped fabrics I’ve been stockpiling, because I love the look of a striped binding:
Simple enough. Quilt, bind, wash, tidy, give. More projects should be like this!