A powerless time
After six nights in the dark, my power returned last night. I am immensely grateful that my house escaped the widespread devastation that can be found in my community. I've posted my photos of the devastation and its aftermath to Flickr; I did not seek out damage for photography purposes, but it was everywhere I went. it took a few days to rescue Tenzing from the vet's, thanks to this mess in front of their building:
Tenzing was so panicked and stressed when I was finally able to get him that he'd wet himself, poor thing. I got him home, helped him clean himself up a bit, and then he sulked off to the back of the house for a few hours to calm down and regroup. After that, he was fine, but I can reassure you that he spent most of our powerless time milking his OMFG I Was Stranded At Teh Vet's drama for all it was worth:
There was much cuddling, once he calmed down. I had candles and plenty of fabric to cut, so in the evening hours, while both the dark and the curfew were firmly in place, I got to work cutting fabrics for Pentatonic and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, my two insanely complicated quilt projects that I've been putting off for far too long.
During the days we had no power, and I had nowhere to go, I opened up the windows to the house -- thank goodness our powerless time was filled with blue skies and fresh breezes! -- and worked in my new sewing room. Cutting, cutting, cutting. I couldn't sew, but I could prepare to do so, and I got plenty done:
Last night, we had our first electrified evening since the storms, and I gave myself a treat. I had hot food! A cold drink! (Okay, I also cleaned out the fridge ... not so yummy.) I sorted through the piles and piles of rhombs I cut for Pentatonic, and started finding sets that worked together. I wanted to try sewing a medallion from Pentatonic, just to see if my custom-made acrylic templates (laser cut via ponoko.com) were as accurate as I hoped. Pentatonic is intentionally simple: two riotously multicolored fabrics plus a white background:
I am not fussy-cutting the fabrics, just creating pieces, and sorting them roughly by color. I'll be able to do blue stars, green stars, purple stars, pink stars -- and they'll all have a gentle coherency of color. I'm pleased to see it works when sewn the same way it worked in my head. I've got a long way to go before I'll get to this point, but it is comforting to know that my pattern pieces work as well as I'd hoped. Last night, when I was sewing, I thought back to Penmanship, and thought, "Yep, this feels familiar. It's finicky, but it's just a Penrose. I know how to do this now."