- content index
- life list
- find me elsewhere
- team jeffie
- the catbeasts
Room reboot #1: office
Submitted by domesticat on 2 January 2012 - 1:17pm
Scott, bless him, offered to come up for a few days around New Year's, and we've been busy creatures during that time. The New Job™ means I work out of the house, but the bad part? I didn't really have a good workspace for me, my phone, and my laptop.
We needed to fix that, but doing so meant that we needed to tear down not one but TWO corner desks, combine two computers into a single work station, put in shelving, and blah and meow and etc.
Good news: we're mostly done.
Jeff's former desk:
My former desk:
Scott, currently applying for sainthood, and Jeff as they worked on disassembling the equipment from the two desks (I broke down the actual desks)
At the end of the night of assembly, I shot these photos to show the progress:
This morning, after moving the final major pieces into place, here's where the office stands. The desk is built, the CPUs are lofted and strapped in, all of the minor bits are arranged and working, my VOIP workphone is ready and there's room for my laptop on the desk:
oh, and the other half of the room? A place to rest, make calls, think, and eat lunch:
Now that this square table is out of the sewing room, I have to … uh … clean up the disaster-area sewing room, install the real tables for it, and finish it out … but you know what? We're getting somewhere.
I can also now say, "Step into my office" and mean it.
Anyone fancy a run to the technology recycling center? Or the county's incinerator? I've got stuff to drop off…
- The server's up high.
- The printer no longer lives in the guest bedroom closet.
- I have a desk lamp!
- I will now work in the same room as my work phone!
- I stole Jeff's photo frame from the hospital. It now has a ton of cat photos.
- Why yes, I did loft the monitor with Jeff's Microelectronic Circuits textbook.
- We still need two UPSes.
- My scanner has a home at last!
- Did I mention that the printer no longer lives in the guest bedroom closet?
- No more uncomfy wooden chairs! I have a butt-friendly rolling chair. With cushions — and ARMS. Suck it, minimalists. I like my creature comforts!